-
May 17th, 2007, 02:11 AM
#161
Inactive Member
Place an order for 24 wire cups as shown in a previous posting. I told my brother I'd like to deal with the factory directly. With my brother's busy schedule, sometimes things take a lot longer than they should.
-
May 18th, 2007, 05:44 PM
#162
Inactive Member
Got a questions for you folks.
1. What do you think about having the boxes made just like the building plans without the cutout for the original XO?
2. What do you think about not providing grills with the box but, have them as a seperate order item?
3. How about installing the bi-wire-cup without adding wires?
4. How about leaveing the dampening material out and let the buyer use what ever they want?
I need asnwers as I just got the factory contact info from my brother and I'm hot to place an order.
-
May 19th, 2007, 02:27 PM
#163
Inactive Member
1. What do you think about having the boxes made just like the building plans without the cutout for the original XO?
Good idea, since most modern XOs dwell inside the box. Anyone who wanted to add vintage could easily cut out the small hole. It's easier to cut a hole than to patch one.
2. What do you think about not providing grills with the box but, have them as a seperate order item?
Yes.
3. How about installing the bi-wire-cup without adding wires?
Yes.
4. How about leaving the dampening material out and let the buyer use what ever they want?
Yes, for me, at least. I have a LOT of densified polyester.
-
May 19th, 2007, 02:46 PM
#164
Inactive Member
I think how the cabinet is damped is going to have a considerable effect on it's performance/sound, so if you're not going to include the insulation, I would at least include recommended installation of it. Otherwise you might have some people that put no insulation or not enough and think that the problem is your cabinet.
I think not including wire is fine as long as you're selling them as bare cabinets and not including drivers. If you were selling them as complete speakers with drivers, I don't think people would want to have to do a bunch of other stuff (add wire, insulation) after they've received them in order to use them.
Dave
-
May 19th, 2007, 02:47 PM
#165
Inactive Member
and same regarding grills (include them with complete speakers, not with bare cabinets).
Dave
-
May 19th, 2007, 05:46 PM
#166
Inactive Member
Thank you for your input.
I think offering a bare cabinet would be wise, just as shown in the Altec building plans. Then I can offer all different options. I think I'll even leave out the hole and bi-wire cup.
I think as part of the deal with the factory, I'll have them pack the speakers so I can open and re close the box. That way, I can offer options and keep the price as low as possible for "tweekers". Tweekers can do whatever they choose and not have to pay for things they don't need or want.
I have talked with Bill at GPA. He's interested in this project and said he may want to buy boxes from me to load with his new 604's.
More than anything, I'm trying to provide very high quality boxes at reasonable prices that allow for people's personal preferences. I'd also like to offer finished cabinets loaded and ready to go.... plug and play, just like Altec built them. I can cut any holes needed (not including the hole for the speaker, that will be provided) and install everything else to complete "finished" systems. BTW, Bill's XO is attached inside the box. It has no adjustment knobs like original Altec XO's and doesn't require a hole in the front of the cabinet.
-
May 24th, 2007, 06:05 PM
#167
-
May 24th, 2007, 07:34 PM
#168
Senior Hostboard Member
Greets!
Unless you can find the same veneered MDF rated in lbs/ft^3 as used originally, they may sound tonally different, but with HDF they will definitely sound different due to its greater rigidity, as would using BB ply, so the better question is how close to original do you want them to sound?
Note that the difference may be subtle enough that it's only obvious in a direct comparison with an original.
GM
-
May 24th, 2007, 07:38 PM
#169
Senior Hostboard Member
I don't think customers want to apply a veneer on top of that.
I prefer wild Cherry plywood 3/4 " .
.....................................
-
May 25th, 2007, 02:15 AM
#170
Inactive Member
GM.... Bill at GPA has made some slight improvements to the 604, I should do the same with the 620 if I can.
I welcome your opinions.
I contacted the factory and it seems they are very busy filling orders for Carls Jr. I will try to have a meeting this coming week. It seems as though they're having some reservations making the boxes. Their last experience making speaker boxes was a bad one. They seemed a little interested that this could lead to much larger orders. Who knows, I'll do what I can.
As for cherry wood, it doesn't look like I'll be able to do custom orders regarding the veneer, unless I come up with another plan.
Anyone out there have an original Altec 620 they would be willing to sell or loan to me?
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks